The Clydesdale Set
|Name:||The Clydesdale Set|
|Manufacturer:||Spratt Brothers, London|
|Country of Origin:||United Kingdom|
|Construction:||Mahogany and brass field camera of comparatively simple construction, with finger joints and single extension square cornered cloth bellows.|
|Plate / Film Size:||¼ plate|
|Lens:||Unmarked barrel lens with wheel stops|
|Date of this Example:||c1899|
|Serial Number:||Serial 117 stamped onto inner face of ground glass screen frame and repeated on the edge of the baseboard near the hinge line.|
Photos copyright © 2012 David Purcell. Do not use without permission.
The Clydesdale Set is a simple, single extension field camera with reversing back. Mahogany, finger joint construction with grey cloth square cornered bellows. The name appears on a roundel set into the top edge.
Eric Evans (www.woodandbrass.co.uk) has an example bought in France where it carries a label on the lens standard that reads "S.B. PATENT" rather than just "PATENT", which led him to speculate that the camera might be made by Spratt Brothers of London who made cameras for the trade.
Another fellow collector (www.earlyphotography.co.uk) has confirmed that the patent that it refers to is 3634/1885, by Spratt Brothers, and covers the clamping of the front standard.
This example carries a retailers label on the side for "J. Asbridge / Salisbury".
The simple barrel lens appears to be designed to allow fine focus as the inner barrel will slide inside its lacquered out ring that mounts to the camera. Complete with leather lens cap.
This camera was sold by several different companies. One example is shown in the BJPA 1899, p. 308, where it is shown as The Farringdon from Barclay & Son.